HOLA! MAYI CARLES HERE.
I'm a tiny Panamanian artist with a T-Rex heart making a living on the Internet by being myself + owning my weird + sharing the lessons I've learned along the way, including the messy middle.
Whether you’ve feeling like a hot mess + you've hit a plateau + you’re overwhelmed by all the incompletes in your checklist + you’re looking for a simpler way to get where you want to go, I'm here, as your personal pocket-size cheerleader to help you transform your life's hiccups into a story of triumph.
My best-seller Life is Messy Planners® has helped 7,000+ girl bosses take their BIG ideas from lightbulb to done + reclaim their neglected bucket lists + recover from perfectionism + turn their multiple curiosities into a healthy money-making business. Less to-dos. More ta-das.
I also create cute + quirky designs that make life easy and pretty.
Yeap, it's all painted by hand in a whimsical style that feels like nothing store-bought or mouse-made. Every project is jam-packed with sweet little hints that make our clients feel special. Come visit Dr. T-Rex, my tiny illustration lab.
Studied Art in Scuola Lorenzo de Medici in Florence, Italy. Received a dual Bachelor degree in Communication Studies + Art Theory and Practice with a minor in Art History from Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois. Completed a Masters in Art in Visual and Critical Studies from The School of the Art Institute of Chicago in Illinois.
Have never submitted a resume in my life.
MEDIA & BRANDS
I've been featured on the cover of HOLA Magazine + U.S News + Huffington Post + CreativeLive + ArtfulBlogging + almost all predominant local publications. And have also collaborated with world-renowned brands like Polo Ralph Lauren + Adidas + Roxy + Kielh's + Kate Spade NY.
Still waiting on Oprah to call.
HOME SWEET HOME
I currently live in tropical paradise with the love of my life David + our beautiful daughters Olivia and Emilia, and work in a lil' nook of a studio overlooking the Pacific ocean filled with children's books + bunting flags + vintage toys + every color scissor imaginable + party props.
"Who the hell took my washi tape... Oh, here it is..."
21 totally random things about me you won't find by Googleing my name
- My real name is Maria Alejandra Carles Ferrer de Larrinaga, but please call me Mayi.
- When I was a little girl, I wanted to be an immigrations officer cuz I was obsessed with stamps. But! When I realized I couldn't wear my pajamas to work, I quickly changed my mind.
- Some days I eat salads + dance like a maniac. Other times, I have an entire pizza all to myself + refuse to put on pants. I call it balance.
- I’m T-E-R-R-I-F-I-E-D of lizards.
- I'm getting pretty good at winning hypothetical arguments in the shower.
- I watched too much Pinky and the Brain when I was little, hence the WORLD DOMINATION inclinations.
- Whenever I interact with people, I have to take a 4 hour nap.
- I overspend at Anthropologie.
- This is me in the car: Plays music. Sings lyrics. Sings backup vocals. Sings guitar riffs. Plays the drums with the stirring wheel. Head bangs. It's a live concert featuring: ME!
- My patronus is a unicorn.
- When someone is mean, I get this sudden urge to release glitter into the sky above their head + watch it shower over them like a baptism of kindness.
- One time, I illegally crossed the Canadian border inside a trash bucket.
- I have no tolerance for critics seating in the cheap seats. See something you think you can do better? DO IT. Do it + share it with us. Otherwise, shush your pie whole.
- I’ve always been slightly frightened of elevator doors.
- I carry a San Benito medal in my wallet to protect me from evil spirits.
- I hate it when I eat the last bite and didn't notice, so I couldn't mentally prepare myself and get closure.
- I like to make lists. I'm a compulsive check-mark-offer. I often jot down a task I've just completed just so I can get the immediate satisfaction of crossing it off. There. I said it. Sue me!
- Sometimes I just need hubby to hug me + say "I know it's hard. Everything is gonna be alright. I love you. Here's 6 million dollars."
- I'm still learning to love the part of myself that no one claps for.
- I'm nicer when I like my outfit.
- I just want to make beautiful things even if nobody cares.